eBay Kleinanzeigen is the most-visited general classifieds site in Germany and growing at speed. Currently, we have more than 45 million live ads and 35 million unique visitors per month – with the majority on mobile devices. eBay Kleinanzeigen helps people find whatever they’re looking for and every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less.
Customer centricity and passion for our products is what helps us to develop our platform. Our agile environment, weekly usability tests, prototyping and multi-functional teams make our product better every single day. If you’re passionate about joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to building an ambitious and diverse work environment, join eBay Kleinanzeigen.
eBay Kleinanzeigen is part of Adevinta: a global online classifieds specialist and sustainability leader with 40+ products in 15 countries.
We are looking for a professional individual to join one of our Core Experience teams as a Senior Java Developer Backend (d/f/m) in Berlin. In this role, you will be responsible for developing applications that shape how our Buyers and Sellers trade their consumer goods. You will be part of a motivated cross-functional team including members from the areas of Product, Customer Service, Marketing, Analytics, Design and Engineering. This is your opportunity to improve the experience of millions of users and have an impact by building a platform that enables sustainable trade for everyone!
What you will do:
- You work together with our diverse product and design teams to develop and shape the future of eBay Kleinanzeigen
- You keep the platform clean, stable and scalable with handling up to 60k requests per second while the platform is still growing
- You drive your own ideas for code, process and product improvements and bring in your own perspective on how our users’ problems can be solved
- You ensure quality and maintainability by improving build and test system
- You will mentor others in a relevant field of expertise (and you preferably enjoy it too)
- You know us, you like us, you want to be part of us
- You are passionate for writing clean code and you have an eye for simplicity and pragmatism. Also, you are getting up to speed with new systems and concepts easily
- You are an expert in Java programming, using Spring Framework combined with your good know-how in object-oriented design. On top, you are willing to impress us within our little Coding Challenge we will give you!
- You don’t need to be a SQL-Magician, but you gained experience with RDBMS and/or NoSQL (e.g. Cassandra, MySQL)
- Preferably having operated microservices in public clouds (e.g. k8s and AWS), with bonus points for experience with distributed systems and event streaming (Kafka) and/or Elasticsearch
- That’s you – embracing collaboration and the DevOps mindset: you build it, you run it!
- Fluent in English, German is a strong plus!
- Opportunity to shape the way we work. Your feedback and opinions are valued at all levels of the organisation
- Benefits including stock purchase plan and annual bonus plans
- Flexibility to work when and how you want – flexible hours, autonomy to set your own agenda, choice of phone and computer
- Smart Working Policy – work remotely some of the time, balanced with time in the office together with your team – between 5 and 45 days per quarter in the office depending on each team. (Please clarify this for your team during your first interviews!).
- ‘Work from anywhere’ weeks – up to four weeks working from anywhere, including from another country, as long as you have an internet connection!
- Additional three months fully-paid parental leave time
- Career development, including individual training budget and language classes
- 28 days of holidays
Adevinta is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
Covid-19: We’re reviewing the situation on a regular basis to ensure that we follow all local government guidelines and put the health of our people first. All interviews are currently taking place virtually.